Monday, July 26, 2010


I am desperately trying to get Raegan into a schedule before I go back to work. I keep a schedule now in that we always eat meals around the same times, and we start the getting ready for bed process about 7:30 every evening. Lately it's been a huge struggle to get Raegan to fall asleep and I think it may be because sometimes she takes a later afternoon nap, so she's not tired by the time we put her in her crib between 8:00 and 8:30. Plus, I love my sleep, so if she wants to sleep in in the morning, I let her. Not going to be an option in exactly two weeks. :( So today I cut off Raegan's second nap at 4:00. Not early enough, because she was still pretty wide eyed by 8:30 p.m. So tomorrow I'll try 3:30 and see what happens. We did the usual: bath, nurse, brush teeth, book, rock and sing. Then I put her in her crib and left the room. Sometimes she starts wailing because she doesn't like to be left alone, and sometimes she just stands up in her crib. I figured, if she's quiet and calm, she'll eventually sit down and go to sleep, right?

Ha! Actually, that's not a complete scoff, because she did eventually go to sleep. But first we had to take care of this little problem:

Typically, Raegan goes to the other end of her crib and stands there yelling until someone comes in. I think maybe because Luke was mowing she decided to go check it out. It was hilarious to see it from the outside, because you could see the blind in her window going back and forth. So I picked her up and rocked her in the living room for a minute and Luke lowered the mattress all the way down (which we needed to do anyways now that she can pull up in her crib). I put Raegan back in bed and after 10 minutes of complete silence, I peek my head in just a bit to find her standing in the same spot still moving the blind. Little stinker! At this point, I moved the crib away from the window about a foot. About 20 seconds after I left the room she let out a scream, which I took to mean that she found out she couldn't play with the blind anymore.

She must have contented herself with her Cookie Monster or blankie, because she was quiet for another 10 minutes or so, then started slowly escalating in her "I need attention" cry, that's not actually a cry at all. At one point she started screaming, so I went in, laid her back down and patted her. I left after a minute, which as always Raegan was not pleased about, but she didn't scream for more than a minute. She eventually fell asleep completely on her own (which is a very rare thing these days), but probably not until close to 10:00. We have two weeks though, so hopefully through some trial and error we can get this figured out. My goal for tomorrow is to get her up around 8:00. Which means I need to go to bed! lol Good night all!


TAB said...

So funny! I remember my kiddos being sneaky, curious like that as they transitioned in their schedules.

Olivia Arlene said...

She'll get it all figured out soon enough!

Kids are funny like that. I remember when Sean was probably about Raegan's age and I thought he was taking a really good nap! He'd been completely quiet in his crib in his room for about an hour...that's when I heard him making some noises...I went in to check on him and he had totally taken apart his mobile lol! He had to have been working on it for quite a while! At the time it wasn't so funny, but looking back it was pretty cute and I was just happy to have had a little bit of quiet time ;-)