Sunday, June 13, 2010

Abilene excursion

Our little mini-trip to Abilene was nice. We ended up not going to either mansion, because apparently now they charge, and at $10 per adult and $5 for Zane, we really didn't feel that it was worth it. I was also surprised that the Eisenhower Museum charged ($8 per adult and $1 for Zane) but it was a lot bigger than what I thought it was going to be, so I felt like it was worth it. I would say we probably spent an hour to an hour and a half in there. There were a lot of displays focusing on WWII, so Zane really enjoyed it a lot. There was the main museum, Eisenhower's childhood home, a chapel where he and his wife are buried, and a library (that we didn't go to). It made for a nice afternoon. We spent $17 on the museum, and about $5 or $6 on gas, so it was comparable to what we spent on our trip to Great Bend. Gotta love cheap entertainment! :)

Zane and I are talking about going back to Abilene sometime this summer so that we can check out the Greyhound Museum and Museum of Telephony there.

I won't share all of my pictures with you, because I really did take an awful lot for a smaller museum. Here's some of the best ones though. The museum didn't want you to take pictures with your flash on, so the ones that turned out the best are the ones where I had turned the camera back on, and forgotten to turn the flash back off. Whoops! :)

Note Zane being a dork in the background. Raegan wasn't really sure WHY we were holding it up to her ear.

Mural at the entrance of the museum


I think this was badges for different divisions/infantries/something. I just thought it looked cool.




Guns are always a hit with the guys :)


They kept leaving me because I wanted to stay behind and read about Nazi stuff.








I LOVE this picture!






In the chapel/final resting place for Eisenhower.



Cuties!

1 comment:

LivG said...

Nice! Too bad the mansions are so pricey.