Friday, June 29, 2012

Cheesy Quinoa


(Not my picture - got it from the website that the recipe came from)

I found this recipe on Pinterest, and tried it out a couple weeks ago. I've never baked with quinoa before, but I thought that this turned out pretty good. It's like macaroni and cheese, but with a kind of nutty flavor to it. I halved the recipe and didn't put in any veggies or bread crumbs on top, simply because I didn't have either. I like my mac and cheese with a crust on top, so next time I will definitely add some bread crumbs.

Serving Size: 8


Ingredients

1 1/2 cups quinoa, rinsed and drained

Veggies of your choice (optional)

good pinch of salt

a few grinds of seasoning salt

2 cloves garlic, minced

2 large eggs

1 cup soy milk or non-fat milk

1 1/2 cups grated Cheddar cheese, more for sprinkling

Optional- Crushed Red Pepper, Panko Bread crumbs for topping

Toppings (optional)- salsa, hot sauce, sour cream, scallions

Lightly saute any veggies you would like in this dish.


Cook quinoa to packaged instructions until fully cooked. (Mine took 12 minutes, I believe.) Add salts, veggies (if adding), and garlic to quinoa.
Preheat oven to 350 F. Coat 13x9 inch dish with cooking spray.

Whisk together eggs and milk in large bowl. Fold in quinoa mixture and cheese. Stir very well and give the cheese some time to melt a little. Transfer to prepared baking dish. If using Panko Crumbs or bread crumbs, add to the top and bake 30-35 mins, until bread crumbs are browned.





No comments: