Monday, January 10, 2011

Chicken and Noodles

Chicken and noodles is one of my favorite winter meals. Not the soup, but the thick, creamy variety that you slather on top of a heap of mashed potatoes. Yummmm. Turns out, Zane likes chicken and noodles too, which I discovered when he said he ate them at a friend's house last week. Well, then. Time to make a batch at home.

Now I'm not the super ambitious type that will make my own noodles. It sounds nice and all, and I have good memories from my childhood of my mom making noodles and hanging them on drying racks. But I just wanted a simple tasty recipe to make on a lazy Sunday, so no noodle making for me. I searched around on the internet for awhile until I found a couple good crockpot recipes. I kind of made my own recipe by combining a couple different recipes together, but I was really pleased with it. I will probably add a little more liquid next time to get them a little runnier like the ones that my church made growing up. But if you like a nice thick chicken and noodle that's almost like a casserole, leave this recipe as is.

Chicken and Noodles in the Crockpot

1/2- 1 lb chicken breast, chopped (depends on how chicken-y you want it)
2 cans chicken broth (I used the low sodium type)
1 can cream of chicken soup (I used the 98% fat free type)
chopped onion or onion flakes (just a little)
dash or two of parsley
10 ounce bag of noodles

Cut chicken into smaller chunks and place in crockpot with all ingredients except for noodles. Cook in crockpot for 6-8 hours on low or 4-5 hours on high. Use slotted spoon to scoop out chicken and shred it. Add chicken back to broth. Add package of noodles. Cook on low for about 20 minutes, keeping an eye on the mushiness of the noodles. (This cooking time will depend on the strength of your crockpot. Also, if you use frozen noodles instead of the dry variety, which is what I use, it will take longer for the noodles to cook.) Pepper to taste and serve over mashed potatoes.

No comments: